The cutest blog on the block black and white background

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Carrot Cake Waffles .... YUMMY!!!!!

Serving my kids carrots for breakfast?

YES PLEASE!!!!


I saw THIS  picture floating around pinterest and pinned it immediately...mostly because of the picture!

We love waffles and are always trying new recipes.
And throwing some carrots into breakfast was an added bonus!


They did not dissapoint!
They were fantastic and did taste like eating carrot cake for breakfast.

We did not do the cream cheese, didn't think the kids would eat it.
We just used plain old syrup!


One thing I will do differently next time is to chop the carrots a little finer.
I chopped them up in my food processor but should have chopped a little bit longer.
I didn't mind the small chunks of carrots but Peighton thought they were a little too crunchy...

Here's how we made them:



Waffle Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice
1 3/4 cups buttermilk* or 1 1/2 cups sour cream or plain yogurt thinned with 1/4 cup milk  (I used greek yogurt, thinned with milk)
2 eggs, separated
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter (I used applesauce)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup raisins
1 cup walnuts, chopped (Left these out because the kids don't like them!)
1 1/2 cup finely grated carrots


In her directions you're supposed to "bloom" the butter or something like that but I skipped that entirely! 
We don't have time for that around here!!!!!
I just threw it all together and mixed-that's how we roll.


They were big and fluffy and so good!

We will for sure make these again!

No comments:

Post a Comment