The cutest blog on the block black and white background

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

My kids eat a lot of Oatmeal...

Lately, I've been buying a box of the Quaker instant oatmeal boxes every week.
The kids LOVE oatmeal.
Preston will ask for a bowl of it for a snack.
 
 
Quaker Instant Oatmeal - Maple and Brown Sugar
 
Thanks to Pinterest I found a simple mix to make my own.
I kept it pretty basic so that we can add in dried fruit or chopped apples or whatever flavor we're in the mood for!
 
 
Instant oatmeal
 
2 cups quick oats
1/4- 1/2 cup brown sugar
1 t salt
1 t cinnamon

I measure out about 1/3 cup, add hot water and toppings like chopped apples, raisins, chopped banana, blueberries, raspberries and sometimes a few sprinkles too!
 
The original recipe had maple flavoring in it but I left that out so it doesn't have to be maple every time.
It also had nutmeg in it but I don't think the kids would like that too much.
I love that we can stir in whatever we're in the mood for!
 
 
I like that it didn't make too big of a batch so we can tweak it and have a new kind next time!

 
I should figure out the cost per serving because I'm sure it's cheaper than the Quaker boxes!
Sounds like a future 4-H project to me!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment