The cutest blog on the block black and white background

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Rhubarb Coffee Cake....a bit healthier!

My mom gave me a bunch of rhubarb.
I think it's kind of gross....unless you bake with it then it's quite yummy!


Peighton and I tried Rhubarb Coffee Cake!

I swapped out some of the ingredients for healthier ones and it's pretty good.
Both of my monkeys gobbled it up for breakfast this morning!
I have the original recipe below and have also included what I used instead.




Rhubarb Coffee Cake
Source: Hy-Vee cookbook

1 1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 cup shortening (I replaced this with 1/2 cup applesauce)
1 egg (could have used Egg Beaters if I had some!)
2 c flour
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 c sour cream ( I used 1 cup plain greek yogurt)
1 1/2 cup chopped rhubarb

Topping:
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c brown sugar
1/2 c pecans (I left these out-my short people would have complained!)
1 T Margarine ( I did use margarine for the topping-it won't be the same with anything else!)
1 t cinnamon
(I also sprinkled some oatmeal on top of the topping!)

Cream brown sugar and shortening/applesauce. Add egg. Combine flour, soda, salt; add alternately with sour cream/yogurt to the creamed mixture.
Fold in the rhubarb.
Spread into greased 9x13 pan.
Combine all topping ingredients.
Sprinkle over batter.
Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes.

In my version, there is only 1 tablespoon of margarine in the whole thing and it was super yummy!
You could certainly leave the topping off entirely but it wouldn't be the same.



No comments:

Post a Comment